Making a Difference in our Community
As the charitable arm of Northwest Federal Credit Union, the NWFCU Foundation is a community leader dedicated to making a real difference in the lives of children and families through its various programs. The NWFCU Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charity, promotes and manages Northwest Federal Credit Union’s charitable activities and initiatives which reflect the interest of our membership and the local community – extending beyond the service and savings of the credit union to focus on scholarships, mentoring and youth outreach programs.
Since our inception:
Coordinated food, toy, clothing and school supply drives to assist local families in need by collecting items and raising over $50,000.
Volunteered over 5,000 hours of time mentoring elementary school students.
Delivered over 2,500 meals through the Meals on Wheels program.
Gave to multiple communities in Northern Virginia on #givingtuesday and throughout the year.
- Incorporated to promote and manage NWFCU’s philanthropic activities
- Formed partnership with Dranesville Elementary School, Herndon, VA
- Became a proud sponsor of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
- Began awarding scholarships through the Ben DeFelice Scholarship Program
- Donated first disaster relief grant to the National Credit Union Foundation Disaster Relief Fund in response to Hurricane Katrina
- Received 501(c)(3) designation from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS award letter is dated June 21, 2006)
- Began administering the Central Intelligence Retirees Association Scholarship Program (CIRA)
- Became a Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) designated charity
- Formed partnership with Louise Archer Elementary School, Vienna, VA
- Formed partnership with Rachel Carson Middle School, Herndon, VA
- Formed partnership with Herndon High School, Herndon, VA
- Held the first Night of Magic for critically ill children
- Organized a Planning for College Seminar for PTA parents at Louise Archer Elementary School in partnership with NW Financial, LLC
- Began accepting online donations via credit card through Network for Good
- Reality Store Budget Simulations workshops presented to Fairfax County students at Herndon High School, Centerville High School, Chantilly High School and Mountain View High School
- Donated more than $150,000 to Children’s Miracle Network
- Donated over $10,000 in disaster relief to Doctors Without Borders USA/Mèdecins Sans Frontiéres in response to Typhoon Haiyan
- Celebrated 10 years of community service and outreach
- Hosted the first Neon Night Glow Run
- Joined the international #givingtuesday movement supporting our community partners
- Formed a Need Base Scholarship Program
- Held Inaugural Drive for the Driven Golf Tournament
- Granted 2 community scholarship awards to Northern Virginia Community Colleges