Making a Difference Since 2005
As the charitable arm of Northwest Federal Credit Union, the NWFCU Foundation is a community leader dedicated to making a real difference in the lives of children through its programs. The NWFCU Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charity, promotes and manages Northwest Federal Credit Union’s charitable activities and programs which reflect the interest of our membership and the local community -- extending beyond the service and savings of the credit union to focus on scholarships, mentoring and youth outreach programs.
We also participate in and contribute to numerous charitable programs, including:
- Coordinated food, toy, clothing and school supply drives to assist local families in need by collecting items and raising over $22,000.
- Volunteered over 2,220 hours of time mentoring elementary school students.
- Delivered over 2,500 meals through the Meals on Wheels program.
- Gave back to several local Fairfax, VA communities on #givingtuesday (December 1, 2015).
- Incorporated to promote and manage NWFCU’s philanthropic activities
- Formed Partnership with Dranesville Elementary School, Herndon, VA
- Became a proud sponsor of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
- Began awarding scholarships through the Ben DeFelice Scholarship Program, awarding $554,000 in scholarships to date.
- Donated first disaster relief grant to the National Credit Union Foundation Disaster Relief Fund in response to Hurricane Katrina
- Received 501(c)(3) designation from the Internal Revenue Service
- Began administering the Central Intelligence Retirees Association Scholarship Program (CIRA), awarding $93,000 in scholarships to date
- Became a Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) designated charity
- Formed partnership with Louise Archer Elementary School, Vienna, VA
- Formed partnership with Rachel Carson Middle School, Herndon, VA
- Formed partnership with Herndon High School, Herndon, VA
- Held the first Night of Magic Ball for critically ill children
- Donations to Children’s Miracle Network total more than $150,000
- Donated over $10,000 in disaster relief to Doctors Without Borders USA/Mèdecins Sans Frontiéres in response to Typhoon Haiyan
- Celebrated 10 years of community service and outreach
Formed a Need Base Scholarship Program
Established Higher Education Community College Award
Held 6 Community Outreach Drives to help the community and those in need